Social Networks

I, like most people my age, use social networks daily. On a personal basis, I maintain Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat accounts. I am also a book blogger, though, so I also have a Facebook and Twitter page for my blog--which can act personally, but are used to advertise posts on my blog. In addition, I am responsible for the social media accounts for my Barnes & Noble store. We have Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts. Needless to say, I spend more time than I'd like on social media!

My two favorite social networks to use are Twitter and Snapchat. All social media seems transient, but Snapchat is even more so than the rest. Snaps are sent to the friends you choose or added to your story, but the snaps disappear after a designated amount of time. Stories are available for 24 hours, and disappear as well. It's a fun way to show your friends what you're doing, without clogging up a feed, like could happen on so many of the other social networks, including Twitter. Twitter, however, is for short, succinct thoughts and conversations. With tweets having to be 140 characters or under, you have to keep what you say limited and to the point.

The value of social media for library and information science professionals is relatively obvious. Millions and millions of people use social media each and every day, and what they see on social media affects and influences them. Just like a business, libraries can advertise their goings on or services and likely reach a larger audience than they will through a website alone.


Since a website largely requires the effort of going to it, on social media, information pops up on our feed, even if it's not a page we "like" or follow. Here, the IUPUI library is advertising their new ebook setup. Posts don't have to include too much information, but this gets the idea in their audience's mind. Every week in my posts for my job, I advertise whatever events we have going on, and it's often that I'm told someone saw the event on Facebook and decided to come, or they'll call the store asking for details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Forbidden Orchid by Sharon Biggs Waller

MUVE